Old Stone Overdrive
Old Stone Overdrive
The Old Stone Overdrive updates and supercharges the notorious green, midrange-humped stomp box that Stevie Ray helped make legendary. With additional clipping options, refinements to the tone stack, and modern EQ options, the Old Stone isn’t another rehash: it redefines a classic.
The mean, green midrange machine. Refined and redefined. Scream better.
Sure, this circuit has been done so many times that we’re all green in the face. A classic is a classic for good reason, but when a classic is a launching pad rather than a thing to be copied? That’s an inspiration.
The Cleveland Music Co. Old Stone Overdrive isn’t just another son or brother of the fabled Tube Screamer. First of all, the signature midrange honk has been tamed just a touch. And with true-bypass switching, 3 clipping options, improvements to the tone control, and selectable pre-gain EQ modes, the Old Stone is more like a versatile distant relative. So, maybe a third cousin twice removed? We don’t know. We’re still waiting on the DNA test results. In any case, who cares? The Old Stone just screams better.
Available in two editions: the white “uniform” enclosure, and the limited edish yellow-on-green (see pics)!
TONE: Adds or cuts treble. Clockwise adds treble; counter-clockwise cuts treble. The Old Stone has a slightly reduced midrange response compared to an original Tube Screamer.
DRIVE: Adjusts the gain of the pedal. Clockwise for more drive; counter-clockwise for less.
ASYM | SYM: Toggles between different clipping diode configurations.
- ASYM is asymmetrical clipping. This produces what some call a slightly more open, brighter tone.
- SYM is symmetrical clipping. This is the back-to-back silicon diode clipping found in so many classic dirt pedals.
- BONUS! The middle position of this switch selects two red LEDs as the clipping diodes. This provides more volume and bite, which transforms the Old Stone into a beastly boost pedal.
FAT adds bass frequencies to the signal in the gain and clipping stage, which produces a warmer, rounder tone and a touch more apparent gain. Great for bridge single coils!
STOCK leaves the EQ as-is. But note that the Old Stone is not as midrange-humped as a typical screamer-type pedal.
True-bypass switching. Top-mounted audio and DC power jacks. No battery snap provided. The pedal is industry-standard 125B in size.
Old Stone Overdrive Nerd Notes
- Rugged powder-coated and UV-printed enclosure
- Awesome solid aluminum knobs
- JRC4558D op-amp
- 1% Royal Ohm metal film resistors
- Alpha potentiometers
- Neutrik audio jacks
- Kobiconn power connector
- GØRVA Mechano 3PDT soft-touch latching footswitch
- WIMA film capacitors
- MLCC C0G capacitors in the audio path (for the hardcore tone nerds out there)